Rarotonga is a relatively small Island with a total circumference of 32kms or almost 20 miles and with a population of around 14, 000 people life is pretty quiet and relaxed in the capital of the Cook Islands. If flying into the Cook Islands you’ll arrive here as the International airport lies on the North Western corner of the Island. The previously volcanic Island of Rarotonga at its highest point (Te Manga) is 658 mtrs (2,140ft) and is surrounded by a beautiful lagoon that at its widest point around Muri Beach is ideal for swimming, diving and snorkelling, in fact water sports of most varieties can be enjoyed in the crystal clear and calm waters of Rarotongas lagoon. The island is mainly populated on the fringes of its circumference with the interior being densely vegetated and quite steep in many areas. There is also a road circumnavigating the island and transport is either via a bus or private transfer/taxi. No roads exist in the interior due to the volcanic nature of the island. Read our Cook Islands Uncovered Blog...
Take a scenic tour of Rarotonga with a friendly local guide and enjoy some of the historic and scenic highlights on offer. Or hire a scooter and trip around the Island by yourselves, stopping at the various sites and soaking up the culture and ambience in this tropical paradise.
Visit the Takamoa Mission House in Avarua. The mission house was built by missionaries in between 1837 and 1842 and is believed to be second oldest building in the South Pacific.
- Take a scenic flight over the mountainous peaks, lagoons and tropical vegetation of Rarotonga
- Spend the day snorkelling is the clears waters of the surrounding lagoon
- Visit Pa’s Palace which is built of coral and lime
- For something different try swimming in the fresh waters of Papuas Waterfall, its the only waterfall on the island
- Pay a visit to the ‘garden factory’ which sells scents and pufumes which are typical on the island such as jasmine, frangipani and pandanus
- Head inland and spend the day hiking the various trails in the island
- Take a fishing charter beyond the outer reef
- Order a cocktail and watch the sun set over paradise!