If you plan your honeymoon with Luxury Adventures to New Zealand, Australia or the South Pacific you’ll begin your married life in one of the most beautiful and romantic parts of the world. Our team can take all the stress out of planning your big day and or honeymoon by arranging something special and unique such as a heli wedding in a stunning alpine or beach location, quaint lakeside chapels, dramatic, stunning and scenic locations – the South Pacific has it all! More information on New Zealand weddings can be found on our weddings blog specifically written for anyone wanting to elope, or contact our team directly. Whether you choose to get married at home or overseas; the South Pacific is a perfect place for a honeymoon and a is a unique experience that’s filled with everlasting memories. With everything to offer from adventure to spa treatments, stunning scenery, outstanding cuisine and world class wine, mountains, lakes, beaches and more.
Arranging a wedding can be stressful and take up a lot of a couples time, a honeymoon is a once in a lifetime trip so it’s important you get it exactly right and this is where we come in… our team will ensure you arrive at a honeymoon that ticks all the boxes. All we need to know is a little about you as a couple, what are the types of things you enjoy doing together and individually, along with intended travel dates. We can either discuss this over the phone or via email and below is a sample of the types of information we like to obtain from our clients in order to tailor an itinerary.
– How long do you have for your honeymoon? We recommend at least 10 days – 2 weeks. This will give you enough time to experience 3-5 key destinations and associated experiences.
– Where and when would you like to spend your time, or perhaps the bias of your time as its sometimes difficult to know exactly until you have a rough itinerary mapped out? Figure out your must visit locations/destinations and go from there. Sometimes after speaking with us people change their ideas when they find out the must see destination they had in mind wasn’t going to offer them what they first envisaged due to time of year, seasons or other factors. We’ve written another blog about information you should know when travelling to New Zealand that covers seasons, the best times to visit, flights, driving etc. amongst other important gems.
– What’s your travel budget? This not surprisingly is the ultimate decider of not so much where you’ll go but certainly where you decide to stay and what experiences you’ll end up selecting. Our article on travel budgets goes into detail about general costs and what you can expect to spend overall on your south pacific trip.
– What type of accommodation would you like to stay in? Hotel, luxury lodge, boutique property, private villa, glamping? Or you may have already narrowed it down to particular properties or brands which is even more helpful for us. Again we can advise and make suggestions based on your brief and expectations. Once we have this information we can begin planning a tailored itinerary for you. Remember our staff have stayed in many of the properties we offer so can speak from personal experience.
Many couples like to mix things up a bit, spend half their honeymoon with the things they enjoy as a couple, perhaps hiking, wine tours, horseback riding, sailing, massages, private picnics, picturesque walks, romantic dinners, almost anything is possible; or something more adventurous and unique to New Zealand or Australia such as a jet boat ride, white water rafting and remote hike, cycling the vineyards, hot air ballooning, heli-skiing or an exclusive mountain helicopter trip. It’s important to let us know what you would like to experience not solely for the enjoyment of your honeymoon but the activities you choose can also have a major influence over the locations you end up visiting. Your imagination is the only limitation here – let us know what you’ve always dreamed about experiencing down under! Having performed a reasonable amount of private guiding in the early days of the business I have first hand experiences with many of the activities on offer and along with the other luxury travel specialists in our team it’s quite possible we’ve personally tried many of the activities available. To assist you further we’ve also put together our current list of Top New Zealand Experiences based on our own and guests first hand experiences.
– How do you plan to travel around the country? You have a few different options here; apart from the longer legs where you can choose from a commercial airline, private plane or helicopter you will need to decide on private vehicle transfers vs self drive. You can read more about these options in the aforementioned article which goes into detail about this. As a general rule private transfers are considerably more expensive than self driving and comparable in price for both Australia and New Zealand.
Generally for a honeymoon couples spend a considerable amount of money (relative to the individuals), therefore its paramount you get it right and make it as perfect as possible. After all you want to get off on the right foot! Luxury Adventures have been creating honeymoons now for many years and have some really wonderful and unique ideas. Here’s a few ideas to wet your appetite; We have some very special romantic accommodation options, for example the five star luxury Marlborough Sounds retreat The Sounds Retreat is a perfect New Zealand honeymoon location, you’ll have exclusive use of the property, with the hosts Tony and Anne creating wonderful and romantic meals, enjoy a private couples massage, soak up the amazing views simply relax and enjoy each other’s company. For something really unique a private luxury tent at Minaret Station, Wanaka which is only accessible by helicopter, here you can hike, explore, fish, hunt, enjoy alpine picnics. A truly private and romantic alpine chalet experience at Whare Kea chalet, again the only access is by helicopter and we can arrange a chef to create a special and romantic dinner for you at the chalet. Relax in your own luxury private villa at Azur Lodge, Queenstown, have a private dining in your villa or let us recommend a romantic restaurant. Stay in a Tree House at Hapuku Lodge, go off the grid with a PurePod, and sleep under the stars, what could be more romantic!
Previous honeymooners have enjoyed private dining in the wine cellar at Huka Lodge, private pink beach picnics at Kauri Cliffs, picnics on the lawn at Blanket Bay, Queenstown. We can arrange a champagne picnic for two on a mountain top or glacier or a wonderfully romantic and serene hot air balloon ride. Take a 4WD into a high country station and be the only two people for miles, drink champagne and soak up the views. How about something really memorable like a tandem skydive or bungee jump – nothing like mutual trepidation to create indelible memories! Other clients have chosen to spend their time hiking in the New Zealand wilderness, at one with nature, taking in all the splendour the New Zealand outdoors offers, just the two of you and a guide, or without. We can arrange accommodation along the way in anything from tents, to ranger huts or luxury lodges. Perhaps take a kayak out to a secluded beach, with or without a private guide, see seals, penguins and other wildlife along the way, drop anchor at a secluded beach for picnic lunch, a swim and sunbathe. Grab a couple of bikes and explore the vineyards of the Hawkes Bay, Central Otago or Marlborough. A guided hike to a quiet secluded waterfall on a tropical island in Tahiti or Fiji, dive or snorkel with stingrays or sharks. Shop up a storm in Sydney, Melbourne or Auckland and wine & dine at a long list of word class restaurants, eateries and bars.
Depending on the time of year a great opportunity and one many honeymooners enjoy is to have a twin destination honeymoon with a more active start in New Zealand or perhaps Australia with activities and tours, and spend the last part of your honeymoon relaxing on a South Pacific beach, either in New Zealand, Australia or one of the Islands such as Tahiti, Fiji or the Cook Islands. This does depend on the time of year and our team are happy to make recommendations. Hopefully the above gives you an understanding and some ideas about honeymooning in the South Pacific.
How do our previous honeymooners feel about us? Take a look at our testimonials page and find out for yourself.
Luxury Adventures – Tailoring luxury travel in New Zealand, Australia and the South Pacific Islands since 1999.
Editor’s note: This blog was originally published in April 2013, and has been updated for accuracy, and currency.