Results of the Travel + Leisure 2012 World’s Best Awards readers survey have been announced, and once again Australia received several top accolades across the country including notoriety for their No. 1 rankings in the Australia, New Zealand, and South Pacific region in several categories including Top City in the region, Sydney; Top Resort and Top City Hotel in the region, Southern Ocean Lodge and The Langham, Melbourne, respectively, and Top Island in the region, the Great Barrier Reef.
These prestigious awards recognize Travel + Leisure readers top experiences around the world, revealing the best in cities, hotels, islands and more. Australian nature, cities and resort experiences had impressive showings with Australia placing eight of the Top Ten City Hotels in Australia, New Zealand, and the South Pacific category and two of its resorts ranking on the list of Top 100 Hotels overall, with Southern Ocean Lodge placing No. 3 among hotels worldwide.
Australia’s Travel + Leisure 2012 World’s Best Accolades
Easily recognized by its iconic harbour, Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge, the metropolitan area is surrounded by national parks, the Blue Mountains, the Hunter Valley and the coastal regions featuring the iconic beaches of Bondi and Manly.
- Sydney: Ranked among the Top Ten Cities Overall
- Sydney: Ranked No.1 on the list of top cities in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific
Southern Ocean Lodge
Southern Ocean Lodge on Australia’s Kangaroo Island is close to Flinders Chase and Kelly Hill National Parks, allowing visitors to experience the unique coastal wilderness and abundant wildlife on the island. Designed by Max Pritchard the suites include local organic materials like recycled timbers and white limestone floors and feature stunning views of the Southern Ocean.
- Southern Ocean Lodge: Ranked No. 3 on the list of Top 100 Hotels overall
- Southern Ocean Lodge: Ranked No. 1 on the list of Top Resorts in Australia, New Zealand, and the South Pacific
Great Barrier Reef
With more than 100 islands, the Great Barrier Reef provides countless experiences from water sports like diving and swimming to relaxing on the white sands of Whitehaven Beach on Whitsunday Island. Travellers can head to Hayman, qualia and Lizard Island for the utmost luxury while based on an island.
- Great Barrier Reef: Ranked among the Top Ten Islands Overall
- Great Barrier Reef: Ranked No. 5 on the list of Top Ten Islands Overall
- Great Barrier Reef: Ranked No. 1 on the list of Top Islands in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific
The Langham, Melbourne
This five star luxury hotel in Melbourne is located on the Southbank Promenade overlooking the Yarra River. Restaurants available at the hotel like the Melba Brasserie provide some of the best dining experiences in Australia.
- The Langham, Melbourne: Voted the Top City Hotel in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific
Tony Townley is a luxury lifestyle specialist and owner of Luxury Adventures.