Once a sleepy fishing town in Far North Queensland, Port Douglas Australia is now a premiere tourist destination and gateway to the Great Barrier Reef & Daintree Rainforest. In this laid back yet sophisticated tropical paradise you can play golf, shop in world class specialty shops and dine in exquisite tropical ambience. Or, simply relax on beautiful Four Mile Beach. Port Douglas is just an hour’s drive from Cairns via a spectacular coastal road that is surrounded by forest and the Coral Sea. It is the place where glittering green -merges into blue; the only place on Earth where two World heritage listed jewels exist; the Great Barrier Reef and the rainforest of Daintree and Cape Tribulation. We all need time out now and again, enter a laid back tropical oasis with sophisticated worldly comforts with a small friendly village atmosphere. Go from business suit to barefoot and frantic to free. Refresh, restore and revitalise, in the aquamarine reef waters of the Coral Sea, the crystal creeks of Mossman Gorge, and the palm fringed golden sands of Port Douglas Four Mile Beach.
Port Douglas and surrounds has a variety of activities & attractions; whether you're looking to do something for free, almost free, or with an entry fee, a diverse selection of activities and attractions awaits!Discover the breathtaking Northern Tropics of Australia through pristine Daintree ainforest walks and safaris, diving and snorkelling the reef and sailing the waterways. Be inspired by the amazing array of nature and wildlife and it’s glorious simplicity. The climate is seductive. Balmy days dissolve into tropical evenings with velvet starry skies. The tropics are a feast for the senses; the sights, sounds and tastes; you will never want to leave!
Four Mile Beach: With its hard, white sands and crystal clear blue waters, this beach has a reputation as one of the most attractive stretches in the area. This is the premier beach of Port Douglas. From the main Port Douglas district, you can walk to the beach in under 5 minutes and then continue to walk along the sandy beach for hours under the tropical sun. Four Mile Beach begins at the northern rocky headland - great for kids to explore and play with the small crabs that make the beach their home. Then the 4 miles of beach unfold in a gentle curve that continues as far as the eye can see, without a hint of development. In fact, the accommodation and houses are neatly hidden behind the swaying palms.
Great Barrier Reef: One of the top reasons people visit the far north of Australia is to experience the Great Barrier Reef. The amazing array of marine wildlife and exotic colours cannot be found elsewhere in the world with the ease this region affords. Cairns offers an ideal hub for trips to the reef. Some of the most exotic and rare diving and snorkelling in the world are a short distance from the city of Cairns, courtesy of dozens of reef tour companies. This exotic playground twice the size of Tasmania, is waiting to be explored.
Daintree Rainforest: The Daintree Rainforest in Australia is one of the most diverse and beautiful examples of Mother Nature in the world. It is home to the most diverse range of plants and animals on earth, and all are found within an area of approximately 1200 square kilometres – the largest chunk of tropical rainforest in Australia.
This World Heritage Listed area contains the highest number of plant and animal species that are rare, or threatened with extinction, anywhere in the world. The Daintree Rainforest is a unique area, precariously balanced between the advances of development and the warnings of environmentalists.
- Visit the great barrier reef with one of the many tour operators.
- Snorkel or scuba your way around the Great Barrier Reef, drift over coral gardens and dive to the depths through darting schools of impossibly coloured fish.
- Experience a guided tour of the rainforest either by day or night.
- Walk along Marrdja Boardwalk or one of the many other bushwalking tracks in the area.
- Take a river cruise and feel your adrenalin rush when you spot a crocodile!
- Have breakfast with the birds at the famous "Rainforest Habitat" wildlife sanctuary.
- Experience the best estuary and reef fishing.
- Take a stroll along any of the wonderful beaches. Watch the sunrise.
- Grab a bargain at the local Port Douglas Sunday Markets. Fresh foods and crafts are always readily available here.
- Enjoy the freshest of seafood at one the many fine restaurants.
- Take a guided tour of the Mossman Sugar Mill and learn some of the North's Founding History.
- Visit the Daintree environmental centre and Rainforest canopy tower.
- Play a round of Golf or Two at the Mirage Country club.
- Hire a jet ski and cruise along the beach
- Experience the Kuranda Scenic Railway or Sky rail to Kuranda
- Horse ride along the beautiful beach
- What ever you choose to do, sight seeing, relaxing, wild adventures and more, you'll find it at Port Douglas.